- Diploma in Architectural Engineering, June 1977, National Technical University of Athens, Greece - M.S. in Civil Engineering, August 1980, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, March 1984, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Lecturer, 1983-1984, Department of Civil Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 - Assistant and Associate Professor, 1990-1993, Department of Civil Engineering, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208
- Assistant, Associate and Full Professor, 1993-date, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Patras, 26500 Patras, Greece.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Structural Analysis, Structural Dynamics, Structural Stability, Soil-Structure Interaction, Earthquake Engineering
- Finite Element Method, Boundary Element Method, Linear and Nonlinear Static and Dynamic Analysis
- Asimakopoulos, A.V., Karabalis, D.L. and Beskos, D.E. “Inclusion of P-∆ effect in displacement-based seismic design of steel moment resisting frames” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 36, pp. 2171-2188, 2007.
- Drosos, G.C., Dimas, A.A. and Karabalis, D.L. “Discrete models for seismic analysis of liquid storage tanks of arbitrary shape and fill height” Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 130, pp. 1-12, 2008.
- Psimoulis, P., Pytharouli, S., Karabalis, D, and Stiros, S. “Potential of Global Positioning System (GPS) to measure frequencies of oscillations of engineering structures” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 318, pp. 606-623, 2008.