Date of Birth: 19 March 1947
- Professor and Head of Earthquake Studies Graduate Program
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Middle East Technical University
- Ankara, 06531 TURKEY
- Phone: +90-312-2102459
- Fax: +90-312-2107991
- e-mail: email@example.com
- B.Sc. Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1968
- M.Sc. Georgia Institute of Technology (Atlanta, Georgia), 1969
- Ph.D. University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), 1973.
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, METU (2001 – present)
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Cyprus International University, North Cyprus (1997 – 2001)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Eastern Mediterranean University, North Cyprus (1996 – 1997)
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, METU (1992 – 1998)
- Professor, Department of Statistics and Earthquake Engineering Research Center, METU (1988 – 1992)
- Assoc. Prof., Department of Civil Engineering, Yarmouk University and Jordan University of Science and Technology, Jordan (1983 – 1987)
- Visiting Prof., Department of Civil Engineering, Mass. Inst. of Tech., Cambridge, MA, U.S.A. (1981)
- Assoc. Prof., Department of Applied Statistics, METU (1980 – 1983)
- Asst. Prof., Department of Applied Statistics, METU. (1975 – 1980)
- Asst. Prof., Department of Management, METU (1973 – 1975)
- Res. Asst., Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA. (1969 – 1972).
Positions Held in the Past
- Chairman, Department of Statistics, METU (1989-1991 and 1978 – 1980)
- Assoc. President, The Scientific and Technological Council of Turkey (1991 – 1992)
- Founding Rector, Cyprus International University (1997 – 2001)
- Member, Administrative Board of the Turkish Catastrophe Insurance Pool (TCIP) (2002 – 2008)
- Member, Diploma Equivalence Committee, Higher Education Council of Turkey (2002 – 2008)
- Director, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, METU (2004 – 2008)
- Member, National Council on Earthquakes (2003 –2007)
- Member, Diploma Equivalence Committee, Higher Education Council of Turkey (2002 –2008).
HONORS/KEYNOTE AND GUEST LECTURES/STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
- Fulbright Advanced Research Scholarship, 1981.
- Yücemen, M. S., “An Overview of Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis”, (Keynote Lecture), The International Earthquake Engineering Conference, Dead Sea, Jordan, Nov., 2005.
- Yücemen, M. S., “New Generation of Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Maps: An Overview and Guidelines”, (Keynote Lecture), International Conference on Modern Trends in Structural Engineering for Seismic Design, Ariel, Israel, October, 2007.
- Yücemen, M. S., “Obligatory Earthquake Insurance as a Tool for the Enforcement of Seismic Codes”, (Invited Lecture), 11th International Conference on Inspection, Appraisal, Repairs & Maintenance of Structures, North Cyprus, Nov., 2007.
- Yücemen, M. S., “New Generation of Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Maps: An Overview and Guidelines”, (Keynote Lecture), International Conference on Construction and Building Technology 2008, Emerging Techniques in Structural Engineering, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, June, 2008.
Has one book and about 130 papers published in international and national journals and conference proceedings related to the following topics: Stochastic modeling in civil engineering; theory of reliability and evaluation of reliability of structural and geotechnical systems; engineering decision and risk analysis; seismic reliability of lifeline networks; seismic hazard analysis; random functions and applications; stochastic methods for seismic vulnerability assessment and earthquake damage estimation; earthquake engineering; earthquake insurance. His 65 publications were cited 167 times in journals covered by the Science Citation Index. Selected Recent Publications:
- Selcuk, A.S. and Yücemen, M.S., “Reliability of Lifeline Networks under Seismic Hazard”, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 65, 1999, pp.213-227.
- Selcuk, A.S. and Yücemen, M.S., “Reliability of Lifeline Networks with Multiple Sources under Seismic Hazard”, Natural Hazards, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 21, 2000, pp. 1-18.
- Akkaya, A.D. and Yücemen, M.S., “Stochastic Modeling of Earthquake Occurrences and Estimation of Seismic Hazard: A Random Field Approach”, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Elsevier Science, Vol. 17, Jan. 2002, pp: 1-13.
- Yücemen, M.S., Özcebe, G. and Pay, A.C., “Prediction of Potential Damage Due to Severe Earthquakes”. Structural Safety, Vol. 26, No: 3, Elsevier, 2004, pp: 349-366.
- Özcebe, G., Yücemen, M.S. and Aydogan, V., “Statistical Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Existing Reinforced Concrete Buildings on a Regional Scale”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol.8, No.5, Imperial College Press, U.K., 2004, pp: 1-25.
- Yücemen, M. S., “Probabilistic Assessment of Earthquake Insurance Rates for Turkey “, Natural Hazards, Springer, 2005, 35, 291-313.
- Yakut, A., Özcebe, G. and Yücemen, M.S., “Seismic Vulnerability Assessment Using Regional Empirical Data”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 35, Wiley Interscience, 2006, pp. 1187-1202.
- Yücemen, M. S., Yilmaz, C. and Erdik, M., “Probabilistic Assessment of Earthquake Insurance Rates for Important Structures: Application to Gumusova Gerede Motorway”, Structural Safety, Elsevier, Vol. 30, 2008, pp: 420–435.
OTHER RELEVANT ACTIVITIES IN LAST FEW YEARS
- Member of the High Level Advisory Board of the OECD International Network on Financial Management of Large Scale Disasters, (September, 2006-present)
- Member of the Board of Trustees, Earthquake Foundation of Turkey (June 2005 – present)
- Head of the Graduate Program in Earthquake Studies (established in August 2007, awarding M.Sc. degree in Earthquake Engineering, Active Tectonics and Disaster Management) (September 2007 - present).