Date of Birth: January 8, 1979
- Asst. Prof. Middle East Technical University
- Department of Civil Engineering and Earthquake Engineering Research Center
- Phone: 90-312-210 2423
- Fax: 90-312-210 5401
- e-mail: email@example.com
- Degree: Ph.D.; Award year 2006; Period of study: 2002-2006; Field: Civil Engineering; University: Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Degree: M.S.; Award year 2002; Period of study: 2000-2002; Field: Civil Engineering; University: Middle East Technical University. Turkey
- Degree: B.S.; Award year 2000; Period of study: 1996-2000; Field: Civil Engineering; University: Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Ph.D Thesis Title: Full Waveform Inversion for Seismic Velocity and Anelastic Losses in Heterogeneous Structures
- Msc. Thesis Title: Stochastic Methods for the Estimation of Potential Seismic Damage
- Asst. Prof.: 2009-present; Civil Engineering; Middle East Technical University
- Instructor: 2007-2008; Civil Engineering; Middle East Technical University
- Postdoctoral Res.: 2006- 2007; Civil Engineering; Carnegie Mellon University
- Research Assist.: 2002-2006; Civil Engineering; Carnegie Mellon University
- Research Assist.: 2000-2002; Civil Engineering; Middle East Technical University
HONORS/KEYNOTE AND GUEST LECTURES/STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
- Best Educator of the Year Award, Middle East Technical University, 2008.
- Guest Lecturer, CIG/SPICE/IRIS Workshop in Computational Seismology, New Hampshire, USA, 2007.
- Best Teaching Assistant Award, Carnegie Mellon University, 2006.
- Doctoral Research Scholarship, Carnegie Mellon University, 2002-2006.
- NSF Scholarship for the summer school, June-July 2004, Colorado School of Mines.
- Young Successful Researcher Award, July 2003, 9th ICASP Conference, San Francisco.
15 publications including the journal papers and conference proceedings. Selected Recent Publications:
- Full Anelastic Waveform Tomography Including Model Uncertainy, A. Askan and J. Bielak (2008). Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 98, pp. 2975-2989.
- Full Waveform Inversion for Seismic Velocity and Anelastic Losses in Heterogeneous Structures, A. Askan, V. Akcelik, J. Bielak, O. Ghattas (2007). Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 97, pp.1990-2008.
- Seismic Assessment and Rehabilitation of Existing Buildings, NATO Science Series, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Vol. 29. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003, The Netherlands.
- Estimation of Earthquake Damage Probabilities for Reinforced Concrete Buildings, M.S. Yucemen and A.Askan, pp.149-164.
- A. Askan, V. Akcelik, O. Ghattas, and J. Bielak (2007). A Sensitivity Analysis for the Full Waveform Inversion for Seismic Velocity Considering Anelastic Losses in Heterogeneous Structures, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, M. Papadrakakis, D.C. Charmpis, N.D. Lagaros, Y. Tsompanakis (eds.)Rethymno, Crete, Greece, 13–16 June 2007.
- Proceedings of Sixth European Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2005. Millpress Rotterdam, 2005, The Netherlands. Simulation for Determining the Seismic Performance of Urban Regions. J. Bielak, A. Askan, A. Fernandez, G.L. Fenves, B. Stojadinovic, J. Park, G. Petropoulos, T. Haupt, R. King, J. Meyer.
OTHER RELEVANT ACTIVITIES IN LAST FEW YEARS
- Member of American Geophysical Union (2004-present) and Seismological Society of America (2004-present)
- Involved in 3 international projects on seismology since 2002.