Date of Birth: 04.10.1962
- Full Professor of Civil Engineering at Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble (France)
- Laboratoire 3S-R (Sols, Solides, Structures – Risques)
- BP 53 38041 Grenoble, France
- Tel.: (++33) 4 76 82 70 38
- Fax: (++33) 4 76 82 70 00
- e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2003 H.D.R. (Habilitation) Mechanics. Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
- 1994 Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering. University of Roma “La Sapienza”, Rome, Italy
- 1988 B.S. Civil Engineering. University of Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
- Since March 2007: Vice-President for Research in Physics and Engineering at the Université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble (France)
- Since Sept. 2004: Full Professor of Civil Engineering at the Université Joseph Fourier / Laboratoire 3S-R
- 09/1997-08/2004: Assistant then Associate Professor at the Université Joseph Fourier / Laboratoire 3S
- 11/1995-08/1997: Marie Curie Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. Université J. Fourier, Laboratoire 3S
- 03/1994-08/1995: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. Northwestern University, Department of Civil Engineering (Evanston, IL, USA)
HONORS/KEYNOTE AND GUEST LECTURES/STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
- 2002: "Galileo Prize" (delivered by the French Embassy in Italy) for the best bilateral French-Italian research project.
- 2006: Tamagnini C., Mašin D., Costanzo D., Viggiani G. (2006) – An evaluation of different constitutive models to predict the directional response of a reconstituted fine-grained soil. Guest lecture, in: Modern Trends in Geomechanics, W. Wu & H.S. Yu. Eds. , Springer Proceedings in Physics, Vol. 106,143-157.
- 2006: Bésuelle P., Viggiani G., Lenoir N., Desrues J., Bornert M. (2006) – X-ray Micro CT for Studying Strain Localization in Clay Rocks under Triaxial Compression. Keynote paper, in: Advances in X-Ray Tomography for Geomaterials, J. Desrues et al. Eds, ISTE, London, 35-52.
- 2008: Viggiani G., Hall S.A. (2008) – Full-field measurements, a new tool for laboratory experimental geomechanics. Keynote paper, in: Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, S.E. Burns, P.W. Mayne and J.C. Santamarina Eds, IOS Press, Vol. 1, 3-26.
- Author of about 100 scientific papers, including 27 peer-reviewed Journal papers and 50 refereed publications in Books, International Workshops and Conferences
- Editor of the book "Advances in X-ray Tomography for Geomaterials" (ISTE, London, 2006)
- Guest Editor of a special issue of the Italian Geotechnical Journal on Geomechanics for Natural Hazards (RIG 02/2004)
- 16 Invited lectures and 22 invited talks worldwide
- 8 lectures at International Doctoral schools / h-index = 7
Selected Recent Publications
- Tamagnini C., Calvetti F., Viggiani G. (2005) - An assessment of plasticity theories for modeling the incrementally non-linear behavior of granular soils. Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Vol. 52, No. 1, 265-291.
- Costanzo D., Viggiani G., Tamagnini C. (2006) - Directional response of a reconstituted fine-grained soil. Part I: experimental investigation. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 30:1283–1301.
- Mašin D., Tamagnini C., Viggiani G., Costanzo D. (2006) - Directional response of a reconstituted fine-grained soil. Part II: performance of different constitutive models. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 30:1303–1336.
- Hall S.A., de Sanctis F., Viggiani G. (2006) – Monitoring fracture propagation in a soft rock (Neapolitan Tuff) using acoustic emissions and digital images. Pure and Applied Geophysics, 163, 2171–2204.
- Lenoir N., Bornert M., Desrues J., Bésuelle P., Viggiani G. (2007) – Volumetric digital image correlation applied to X-ray microtomography images from triaxial compression tests on argillaceous rocks. Strain, International Journal for Experimental Mechanics, 43, 3, 193-205.
- Vitone C., Cotecchia F., Desrues J., Viggiani G. (2009) – An approach to the interpretation of the mechanical behaviour of intensely fissured clays. Soils and Foundations, to appear in June 2009.
- Hall S.A., Muir Wood D., Ibraim E., Viggiani G. (2009) – Localized deformation patterning in 2D granular materials revealed by Digital Image Correlation. Granular Matter, to appear in 2009.
OTHER RELEVANT ACTIVITIES IN LAST FEW YEARS
- Since 2006: Editor of the International Journal “Acta Geotechnica” (Springer)
- Since 2007: Responsible of the international master program in “Geomechanics, Civil Engineering and Risks” at UJF
- Since 2008: Member of the Scientific Council of the French-Italian University (UFI/UIF)
- Since 1999: Member of the Board of Directors of the European Association ALERT-Geomaterials
- Since 2006: Member of the Advisory Board of the Scottish Joint Research Institute ECOSSE (Edinburgh Collaborative of Subsurface Science and Engineering), part of the Edinburgh Research Partnership in Engineering and Mathematics (ERPem)
- 2002-2007: Leader of the research team "Géomatériaux, Déformation et Rupture" (9 faculty, 6 post-doc and 7 PhD students) at 3S-R
- 2006-2010: Scientific Responsible at UJF of the European project TIMODAZ (Thermal Impact on the Damaged Zone Around a Radioactive Waste), 6th Euratom research and training Framework Programme (FP6)
- 2006-2007: Responsible of the International Relations at the Faculty of Mechanics and Engineerign (UFR de Mécanique) of UJF
- 2004-2006: Responsible of the Civil Engineering Curricula at the Université Joseph Fourier
- 2003-2004: Member of the Mechanics Section of the National Council of French Universities (CNU)