The course is intended as an introduction of graduate students to the experimental techniques and measurements employed in engineering and specifically in earthquake engineering. The course content comprises:
- Basic knowledge for designing an experimental campaign, scope of the testing, etc.
- Principles of designing test set‐ups, planning and preparation.
- Dimensional analysis, similitude requirements, true and distorted models, scaled tests.
- Testing methods: static, dynamic, pseudodynamic, artificial excitation
- Servo‐hydraulic testing systems: loading systems (actuators, servovalves, pumps), system control theory
- Sensors. Principles of operation, sensor characteristics, sensor mounting, converters
- Data collection, data acquisition (hardware and software), data analysis and presentation.
- Structural monitoring, in‐situ vibration testing, Lab exercises, homework and example experimental studies.